Monday, July 21, 2014

Step By Step Guide How To Change Your Oil - For Beginners | Do Your Own Oil Change With Pictures

A short presentation by City Collision Center so you will remember how to change your oil.
Glowing Dashboard
Stan: I’ve never changed my own oil before.  I don’t how to get around a car.
Brian: No problem.  I’ll break it down into steps so it’s easy.  First, Stan, you want to warm up your engine for two to three minutes to get all that gook churned up and can flow easily out of the engine.  So that you don’t burn yourself, turn off the engine when it is warm to the touch.
Stan: Done.
Brian: Look under the car to find the drain plug, which is a large nut or plug underneath the oil pan at the bottom of the engine.
remove oil pan drip screw or plug

Stan: Ok.  I found it.  What next?
Brian: We need a container to catch the oil.  This one should work. He says while holding up a container.  Now push this under the oil drain plug.
oil catching container

Stan: That’s done.  Do I just pull the plug now?
Brian: Yes, you do.  But protect your hand with this rag.  Gives Stan a rag.  Now before you drain the oil, be ready to move your hands.
how to drain car oil

Stan: I think it’s all drained out.
Brian: Now remove the cap from the oil filter at the top of your engine and then unscrew the oil filter.  If you can’t do it with your hands, we can get a wretch out.
how to remove oil cap

Stan: Struggles some.  I’m a manly man.  The filter unscrews counterclockwise, yes?
Brian: Yes.  The filter will have oil on it, so be careful not to spill any as you remove it.
where is your oil filter on your car

Oil Filter: Ek. That tickles.
Brian: We need to now empty the filter’s oil into our container.
Brian: Let’s get a new bottle of oil out and dip a finger into it the oil to moisten the gasket on the top of the new filter.
Stan: I bet now I need to screw the new filter into the engine where the old one used to be.
install new oil filter

Brian: See, you’re a natural.  But there is a slight trick.  Turn the filter gently by hand until it seats, and then go ahead and give it another three-quarter turn.
Stan: No sweat.  What next?
Brian: Wipe around the area the oil drain plug goes.  Afterward, Replace the oil drain plug using our mighty adjustable wrench to tighten it.  Says while holding up the wrench.
replace oil drain screw plug

Stan: Thanks for letting me use your tools.
Brian: No problem.  Now we are going to use a funnel to pour in all of the oil but one of the quarts into the oil filler hole.  Be sure to pour it slowly so all the oil will have time to run down.
pour out old oil in container

Stan: This is going together pretty well.  I’m all done with that.
Brian: Now we’ll replace the oil filler cap and run the engine for thirty to sixty seconds.  Meanwhile, we’ll check for leaks from the oil drain plug and around the filter.
Stan: That’s easy enough.
Brian: Now shut off the engine and wait five to ten minutes for the oil to settle into the pan, and then check the dipstick.  You do know what the dipstick is, right Stan?
Stan: Yes, of course.
Brian: Now keep adding oil a little at a time until the dipstick reaches the Full line.  Now remove the drain pan and give the car a whirl.
how to read oil dipstick

Stan: Sure.
Brian:  A couple of blocks should be sufficient, and then we’ll wait until the oil settles down again for another five to ten minutes.  Now check the dipstick again.
Stan: The dipstick measures on the Full line.
Brian: Good job Stan.  Now all we need is to take the oil to an auto parts store for it to be recycled.


18 comments:

  1. I just moved a long way from my dad, who normally changed my oil for me. Now that I have to do it on my own I want to do it the right way. Thank you for the step by step instructions on how to change my oil. With all your pictures and directions I might be able to figure it out on my own. http://wasatchautobody.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I extremely LOVE this blog!! I just desire I will get more posts for great information.
    oil change

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad tried to show me how to change the oil one time. I wasn't the best student. Going through this article, however, is bringing back a lot of memories and images. I think he'd be proud of me if I changed it myself, called him up, and shared with him the news. http://www.knollautomotive.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this dialogue between Stan and Brian of a question and answer concept of getting this oil changed. For me, I always prefer somebody to get my oil changed professionally because I'm not very good with cars. Sometimes you have to scour a few car repair places to see if they can repair your car or change you oil for a discounted price. What are some other money saving tips with getting your oil changed?
    http://nationaltransinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a great blog! It is very informational and explains in detail how to do certain things. My oil actually just came on, and in all honesty, I am not sure how to change it. I want to make sure I do it the right way. And this video was super helpful to me in giving me a better understanding on what I need to do to change my oil. http://www.collisionsplus.com/collision-services/body-repairs

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blog is good enough I again n again read this.car insurance quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are looking for buy car accessories online.I think this place provide any kind of car accessories to get at affordable price.

    chevrolet servicing & toyota car repairs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I desired to search the great informative blog and now I am here. Thanks guys panel busters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doing oil change by own is little risky but with a little guidance it can perform well. I'm thankful to Erick for guiding step-by-step with pictures. Often new users afraid to do these things but your blog will encourage them to do it. Oil change after covering a specific mile is mandatory for all vehicles. For the first time oil change, it is better to go for a good service center. Here is an option. German Auto Service South Florida. Anyways thanks for the post Erick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very helpful tips.I have my own car and these tips will helps me for taking better care of it. Though I some times taking help from my nearby Houston Auto repair mechanics working near my house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to buy glass filter tips I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You fully match our expectation and the selection of our data.UK Dental Care website

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post. Please keep up the great work.
    Visit us: Canterbury Car Restoration

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this blog.I like this blog very much. Really such an nice and decent information shared here with awesome stuff.
    Oil change Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks For Sharing Great Blog Post, At Oil Changers® we provide a hassle free oil change completed in 9 minutes or less with no appointment necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey,
    I read your post it is very informative and helpful.
    You have clearly outlined each and and every point step by step on oil change with the pictures.
    Loved reading it.
    If anyone need oil change in Nanaimo and surrounding areas then contact us at once for high quality oil products, warranty approved oils at the best possible price than other. No appointment needed, fast friendly service and more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dear,




    i Like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Usefull For me.


    You Can see also my services.....





    Buy car accessories online at cheap prices. Shop online for wide range of Car Accessories from top brands on cheapjim.com with free shipping worldwide.







    Visit Now - Buy Car Accessories Online
    ----------

    ReplyDelete